Sunday, September 10, 2006

Blessings of Tithing

Great promises are given to those who faithfully pay their tithing. They include the following.

Growth in knowledge and testimony

President Heber J. Grant: “Prosperity comes to those who observe the law of tithing. When I say prosperity I am not thinking of it in terms of dollars and cents alone. . . . What I count as real prosperity . . . is the growth in a knowledge of God, and in a testimony, and in the power to live the gospel and to inspire our families to do the same. That is prosperity of the truest kind.” (Gospel Standards, comp. G. Homer Durham (1941), 59)

Defense against evil

President James E. Faust: “In our time we are surfeited with a pestilence of violence, evil, and wickedness in so many forms. Those who keep their covenants and pay their tithes and offerings will have some extra defense against these virulent modern-day forms of evil.” (October 1998 General Conference)

Development of the soul

Elder James E. Talmage: “After all, the prime or great purpose behind the establishment of the law of the tithe is the development of the soul of the tithe-payer, rather than the providing of revenue. The latter is an all-important purpose, for so far as money is needed for the carrying on of the work of the Church the Lord requires money that is sanctified by the faith of the giver; but blessings beyond estimate, as gaged by the coin of the realm, are assured unto him who strictly conforms to the law of the tithe because the Lord hath so commanded.” (Articles of Faith)

Peace and happiness

President Marion G. Romney: “As is true with respect to all of God’s commandments, the payment of tithing brings a peace and happiness unknown to the defaulter.” (“The Blessings of an Honest Tithe,” New Era, Jan.–Feb. 1982, 45)

Protection from destruction of the wicked in the last days

Elder Rudger Clawson: “Does it mean that if a man will not pay his tithing, that the Lord is going to send a ball of fire down from heaven and burn him up? No; the Lord does not do that way. The Lord works on natural principles. This is what it means: . . . It means that the Spirit of the Lord will withdraw from him; it means that the power of the priesthood will withdraw from that man if he continues in the spirit of neglect to do his duty. He will drift away into darkness, gradually but surely, until finally . . . he will lift up his eyes among the wicked. That is where he will finally land; and then when the destruction comes and when the burning comes, he will be among the wicked, and will be destroyed.” (Conference Report, Oct. 1913, p. 59)

Food, clothing, and shelter

President Gordon B. Hinckley: “I have wept as I have seen the poverty and the suffering of the people in this part of the earth. My heart reaches out to them. I do not know what the solution is, except the gospel of Jesus Christ. I think it is the only thing that will help them and bless their lives. If they, even living in poverty and misery, can look to God with hope and faith it will sustain them in their hours of sorrow. Furthermore, I believe with all my heart that if they will accept the gospel and live it, pay their tithes and offerings, even though those be meager, the Lord will keep His ancient promise in their behalf, and they will have rice in their bowls and clothing on their backs and shelter over their heads. I do not see any other solution. They need a power greater than any earthly power to lift them and help them” (missionary meeting, Philippines Cebu Mission, 1 June 1996). (“Inspirational Thoughts,” Ensign, Aug. 1997, 3)

More easily pay our debts

President Ezra Taft Benson: “Let us pay first our obligations to our Heavenly Father. Then we will more easily pay our debts to our fellowmen.” (“Pay Thy Debt, and Live,” Ensign, June 1987, 3)

President Joseph F. Smith: "... one of the best ways that I know of to pay my obligations to my brother, my neighbor, or business associate, is for me first to pay my obligations to the Lord. I can pay more of my debts to my neighbors, if I have contracted them, after I have met my honest obligations with the Lord, than I can by neglecting the latter; and you can do the same. If you desire to prosper, and to be free men and women and a free people, first meet your just obligations to God, and then meet your obligations to your fellowmen. Bishop Hunter used to put the matter in these words: "Brethren, pay your tithing and be blessed", and that is just what I mean." (Conference Report, Apr. 1903, p. 2)

Fewer problems, more prosperity

Elder James E. Faust: “One of the greatest lessons I have learned during my lifetime about doing the best things in the worst times is that people who pay their tithing in both difficult times and good times get along better. They simply have fewer problems; there are fewer family problems and fewer financial problems. Their outlook is more positive, their ability to do and function is increased, and they prosper spiritually as well as temporally.” (“Doing the Best Things in the Worst Times,” Ensign, Aug. 1984, 41)

More power to inspire our families to live the gospel

President Heber J. Grant: “The law of financial prosperity to the Latter-day Saints, under covenant with God, is to be an honest tithepayer, and not to rob the Lord in tithes and offerings. Prosperity comes to those who observe the law of tithing; and when I say prosperity I am not thinking of it in terms of dollars and cents alone, although as a rule the Latter-day Saints who are the best tithepayers are the most prosperous men, financially; but what I count as real prosperity, as the one thing of all others that is of great value to every man and woman living, is the growth in a knowledge of God, and in a testimony, and in the power to live the gospel and to inspire our families to do the same. That is prosperity of the truest kind.” (Conference Report, Apr. 1925, 10)

No comments: